Friday, December 2, 2011

Gender and Education Research Reflection


Gender Equity In Education: Is It Possible?

I found this article online and it immediately caught my attention with its introduction:

"Gender equity in education. Despite efforts to create a better environment for girls in the education system, barriers to learning persist and gender inequity continues to flourish. Here's why."

It is very true that girls and boys are treated differently in the classroom whether it be in elementary school or even in college. In my opinion, it all has to do with the fact that in history boys were the only ones who went to school and girls were expected to stay and tend the home. This article states that boys in school are more likely to be called on, given attention, and be put into higher level groups than girls. The article also states that colleges now are not working hard enough to teach students how to avoid gender bias in the classroom. Because of higher expectations for boys they are the ones expected to be in the higher level classes, "girls are cheated out of the education they deserve."
I find it ridiculous that this occurs but honestly I have never really focused in on it before this year. Thinking back on when I was in school I remember the boys in my grade being encouraged to take the AP classes or they purposely did not do well in class in order to not be recommended for those certain classes. The girls that wanted to take the higher level classes, I feel, were held to a higher standard in those classes than the boys just because they were there. When I was in high school I remember taking honors French class and I remember getting much more specific detailed corrections on my assignments that had wrong answers than my guy friends in that class.
The fact that Gender inequality exists in the classroom needs to come to an end which is easier said than done.

No comments:

Post a Comment